Breaking News

Naomi Osaka: 'I didn't want people to see me crying against Williams'

In an interview to TIME magazine, Naomi Osaka recalled the emotional US Open final she went through against Serena Williams last year. The Japanese player, despite all the pressure as the American argued with the chair umpire Carlos Ramos, tried to stay cool and not show her emotions. “I didn’t want people to see me crying, because that’s pathetic. Serena is Serena", said Osaka. "I didn’t experience her life. I can’t tell her what she’s supposed to do, because there are things that she’s gone through. I have nothing against her or anything. I actually still really love her.”

Osaka added: “In a perfect dream, things would be set exactly the way you would want them. But I think it’s more interesting that in real life, things aren’t exactly the way you planned. And there are certain situations that you don’t expect, but they come to you, and I think those situations set up things for further ahead.”

Osaka also commented on the importance of her sister Francois in her life: “She was sort of the driving force. Because when we were little, I wasn’t really too good. I was just there. I didn’t really care. I was just playing because she was playing and I wanted to beat her.”

Serena and Venus Williams are getting older and one day they will retire. Osaka was asked if she can go through the American playfootstepssteps. “You really never know what people can do. And how people can change. I don’t think there is ever going to be another Serena Williams. I think I’m going to be me. And I hope people are O.K. with that.”

On the expectations around her, Osaka added: "Everyone around me has more confidence in me than I do in myself. I think everyone is cooler than me."

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2M55oj9

No comments