Breaking News

I didn't have a lot of role models as a young girl, says Serena Williams

In an interview to Allure Magazine, Serena Williams confessed she did not have too many role models in her life while growing up. The former world no. 1 said: “There weren’t a lot of role models for me to look up to [in the sport] and say, ‘Wow, I want to look like this!’... I kind of had to be that role and be that person. Venus and I started out being successful, continued to be successful, and we were also unapologetically ourselves. We were not afraid to wear braids. We weren’t afraid to be black in tennis. And that was different.”

Serena also praised her mother Oracene: “I think my mom instilled in us to be confident women, to really believe in ourselves, be proud of our heritage, our hair, and our bodies. That was something that was really important for her to teach us. I’m definitely teaching it to my daughter.”

Looking back at herself when she was a little girl, Serena said she saw some physical similarities with her daughter Olympia: “I have a picture from when I was, like, two years old. My arms are ripped. If you look at my daughter, she has a very similar body type."

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2CfmLct

No comments