Breaking News

John McEnroe speaks about Andy Murray's fitness condition

In an interview to Daily Mail, the former world no. 1 John McEnroe commented on Andy Murray's fitness condition. A few weeks ago heading into Brisbane, Murray admitted he still feels some hip pain and he lost to Daniil Medvedev in the second round last week. McEnroe believes that Andy should have low expectations: 'If he is not 100 per cent, it is limited what he can do. I had a hip problem when I was 26 and I didn’t have surgery like he did so maybe his was even more serious. I felt it affected me for the rest of my career and to this day, in a way. If he is having pain, that is obviously terrible. It was always going to be a tricky injury to get back from, because he relies on his movement. In Australia, I would imagine he is just trying to get through without being in a lot of pain, so that would be sort of a victory.'

On the Great Britain's no. 1 Kyle Edmund, who skipped the Sydney International this week but is already training at the Australian Open, McEnroe added: 'He broke through and had his best tournament in Melbourne last year, and I felt like he had an opportunity to break into the top 10. I just think the pressure has been building for him because he has a lot of ranking points to defend now. When that happens, the things that bother you a little bit start to bother you more, and it just gets in your head. Injuries have a way of happening when you least want them to. It would be too bad if his knee injury is serious, because he was making real progress for most of last year.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2M0uS15

No comments