Breaking News

Kei Nishikori: 'I learned many things from Andy Murray. I am very sad'

In a press conference at the Australian Open, Kei Nishikori commented on Andy Murray's retirement from tennis. The Japanese player said: "Yeah, don't know what to say. I'm very sad. I was seeing that he wasn't moving well yet last week, but I didn't think that was coming. So very sad honestly. I played many times, and I learn many things from him. Yeah, he has many good talents. He was the top four playing a long time. I mean, I hope he gets better and he keeps playing. Yeah, I mean, cannot do anything for him. But I hope he gets better."

Asked about what he worked on during the off-season, Nishikori replied: "I think I fixed a couple of things that I feel like I'm not the best yet. Yeah, I check my serve again and my return. Well, I try to do everything. Yeah, feeling great now. So I'm happy to play better again, happy to play with the high-level players."

Nishikori thinks that winning the Brisbane International last week gave him an extra boost: "I usually do well there, but I never won the tournament yet, never won tournaments before. So I'm happy to finally win a tournament. Yeah, this is the best start of the year for me. So, yeah, I'm happy to be healthy again and playing good tennis. Yeah, couldn't play last year this tournament, so happy to be back."

On his goals heading into the Australian Open, where he never got past the quarter-finals, Nishikori added: 'Hopefully I can go farther. That's going to be my goal this year, to do better in the Grand Slams, all the Grand Slams. Yeah, this one, hope I can go farther than quarterfinal. I had to do many things. I got to keep doing the training, I have to be healthy through these two weeks. Also, conditions change here, so I have to be ready for that. Also, you know, I have to be really focused every match. Yeah, just need to play solid every single match."

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2DbznTG

No comments