Breaking News

Maria Sharapova: Melbourne-St. Petersburg weather switch was shocking

Maria Sharapova had a quick turnaround from the big heat at the Australian Open in Melbourne to the cold in St. Petersburg, Russia. The five-time Grand Slam winner reached her native country a few days earlier in order to get used to the weather condition. "This temperature is a real shock for the body and for all of us but as we were going to the arena I was watching the snow falling and contemplating the beautiful buildings of St. Petersburg like a child. It was very interesting for me. We won’t spend much time outdoors but it is interesting to get to know how people live. But then we all came here to play in the tournament, for sure," said Sharapova.

On her first practice at the Sibur Arena, the 31-year-old added: "I don’t get to play too often in a tournament for the first time. That is quite unusual. I know people were waiting for me here. I wanted to play here last year but the schedule prevented me from doing so as the tournament follows a Slam. But this year I decided to make it to this tournament. I don’t know for how long I am going to play on the tour, that is why it is a unique chance for me to perform here."

Sharapova is in the Russian tournament with her team: "Mum was to come but unfortunately she won’t. So I came with my team. We spend lots of time together. It is a very unusual trip for us. When I was packing my bags I knew I would spend several weeks in Australia and that will fly into the cold so I took two parka coats with me. I think it would be enough. I will manage without a fur hat."

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2CNGSPl

No comments