Breaking News

My main goal as always is to win, says Maria Sharapova

Maria Sharapova is enjoying her stay in St. Petersburg. The Russian player and her team visited The Hermitage on Saturday ahead of the tennis tournament that starts next week. Speaking to the media about her off-court experience, the five-time Grand Slam winner said: “We’ve had a great excursion at the Hermitage. I remember a few years ago my mom told me about St. Petersburg, she spent here a several days and she had quite a busy program. Mom keeps great memories from her stay here. I loved every beautiful hall here, they are truly unique. For instance, this very hall where we are standing right now is astonishing – all decorated with gold, simply awesome. When we entered this hall, I was agape and full of admiration. As to the paintings exhibited here, I’d say Rembrandt impressed me most."

On her goals for the Russian tournament, Sharapova said: “My main goal as always is to win, that’s what I am aiming for."

On her loss to Ashleigh Barty at the Australian Open, the 31-year-old added: "I think a little bit of focus. You know, 30-all in the first game, first game second set, just didn't take care of business. Yeah, I think I took a few steps back. I let her control the points a little bit. Got into longer rallies, which I think off the backhand she had a great slice out there today. That stayed quite low in the conditions. And I didn't do enough with that ball. I usually like that ball."

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2B5r6zk

No comments