Breaking News

Novak Djokovic: 'People were shocked when I said I wanted to retire'

In an interview to Globo Esporte, Novak Djokovic recalled when, in late March this year after the Miami Open, he told his team members he wanted to retire from professional tennis as he was not finding a way to come back at the top following an elbow injury. 'I said I did not want to play tennis anymore. People were shocked', said Djokovic. 'In those moments, I was not pretty sure of what I was speaking about. The worst is when you have doubts on how much you believe to do. I am not ashamed of it. A part of me knew I would have got another success, winning a Grand Slam and being the world No. 1... In April, we shared a strategy with the team and the idea was to come back at my best shape in the US Open.'

Djokovic also recalled this year's Wimbledon title. After his straight-set final win over Kevin Anderson, he hugged his wife Jelena and son Stefan on the way to his locker room. 'It was the best possible scenario. I won the title and he (Stefan) heading into the grounds was one of the moments that will stay with me forever', said Djokovic, who was a mix of joy and tears. 'My wife and my team were saying: "You always laughed, and now it's completely different, in a different dimension... Having my wife and my son is something I will never forget. I will keep it forever. I did not know how it would feel, so it was very exciting, mysterious in a certain way.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2RlxhIP

No comments