Breaking News

Del Potro to skip Australian Open, says comeback is closer

Through his official Twitter account, in wishing his fans a happy new year, Juan Martin del Potro gave a bad news. The world No. 5 will skip the Australian Open that takes place from 14 to 27 January due to a knee injury. The Argentinean hurt himself in October during the Shanghai Masters, he is back to practice on a clay court in mid-December and he is not ready to switch to hard yet.

Del Potro was also set to play the Kooyong Classic from 8 to 10 January, but he will miss that event as well. Last year the 30-year-old had reached the ASB Classic final in Auckland losing to Roberto Bautista Agut in three sets and then the Australian Open third round losing to Tomas Berdych. 'I hope you have a great 2019', wrote del Potro. 'Recovery is going great and I will tell you later where I will be making my comeback. Unfortunately it won’t happen in Australia, I’ll miss yo but I’m happy with my progress. Happy New Year! Enjoy!"

Del Potro did not commit to the Delray Beach Open and Acapulco neither, as he does not know about his plans and when he will actually be able to compete again.

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2GPZ93x

No comments