Breaking News

Patrick Mouratoglou recalls unforgettable conversation with Serena Williams

Patrick Mouratoglou feels proud about her co-operation with Serena Williams. The French coach held a press conference on Monday at the Australian Open to speak about several things, including what he learned the most from working with Serena. “It's going to be difficult to summarize it in a few words. I mean, when you start this job, you have an idea of what a champion is in terms of mindset, and she just comes from that 100%. She doesn’t think like other players. I have worked with a lot of players in my life… there is only one Serena in terms of mindset. You become who you are by how you think.

There are a few things that champions do or think that are different than other people. I always tell this story. Roland Garros has always been a difficult tournament for her in the past, and when we started 2012 she just lost in the first round. And after she started to win Grand Slams again, she won Wimbledon, US Open, Olympic gold, et cetera, she told me she was struggling to win Roland Garros. Last time she won it I think was in 2002 and we were in 2013 when she started to talk to me about that. We made a plan, and she worked incredibly hard to win this one, and she won it in 2013. So 11 years after. After the trophy ceremony, she went to stretch, and she told me: ‘Come with me, I'm stretching.’ After two minutes she turned to me and said: ‘Now we have to win Wimbledon.’ She already forgot it. She was chasing something for 11 years, not two minutes, 10 minutes after she was already focusing on the next goal. That's different. There are guys who win one tournament and they celebrate for 15 years.”

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2FOS0i1

No comments