Breaking News

Thanasi Kokkinakis has higher goals than just making Aussie Open main draw

Rising Australian star Thanasi Kokkinakis is determined to achieve success.

The 22-year-old is currently the eighth-ranked Australian player as he sits at No. 145 in the world. 

The Australian reached his career-high ranking of No. 69 in 2015 before he was hit by a number of health issues. 

"I don't want to join them (Australian players). I want to do it my own way and be higher than them," Kokkinakis said, per the AAP. 

Kokkinakis is in the verge of making the Australian Open main draw after main draw after beating Sebastian Ofner in the qualifying second round 6-4 7-6 (4). 

The Australian will be fighting against Canadian Peter Polansky for a place in the Australian Open main draw. 

Kokkinakis has in mind what he will have to do in 2019 if he wants to have a breakthrough season. 

"I knew I had to raise my bottom level so, when I'm not playing well, I can grind wins. When I had my career (best) year which felt like ages ago, that's what I was doing well," Kokkinakis said.

"You've got to be on court to be able to do that but I'm starting to do that.

"For me, it's about concentration and focus.

"To play in front of people again, in qualies (qualifiers) and have the spotlight on you, that's sort of match fitness in itself."

Also read: Nick Kyrgios: I don't think there has ever been player like Bernard Tomic

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2FnvmwV

No comments