Breaking News

WTA Indian Wells - Entry List: Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova to play

The BNP Paribas Open of Indian Wells will mark Serena Williams's comeback to the competition after her tough three-set loss to Karolina Pliskova in the Australian Open quarter-finals. The American player will seek her third title after the ones in 2001 and 1999. From 2002 to 2013 she did not play due to the racist boing she got during the final against Jennifer Capriati 18 years ago.

Maria Sharapova, who after playing the St. Petersburg Open next week will take a break as well, will fight for her third title, as well as Victoria Azarenka. In last year's edition, the Belarusian made her comeback to tennis after a seven-month break due to the custody battle for her son Leo. Naomi is the defending champion, in last year's final she defeated Daria Kasatkina. Caroline Wozniacki triumphed in 2011, Simona Halep in 2015. Both of them will seek their second title.

Last year in press conference after her loss to sister Venus, Serena said: 'I'm going tournament by tournament. I'm definitely not thinking too far in the future. Ready for the next tournament. I'll get ready for that. I have a lot to improve on. You know, it's good that I don't have to say that this is the best tennis I have ever played and I lost. My room for improvement is incredible. So I have just got to keep saying each tournament my goal is just to be better than the last, and I don't -- definitely don't want to go backwards. I just want to continue to go forward. I think as long as I can do that, I will keep getting better.'

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2FTxM7D

No comments