Breaking News

Alexander Zverev reveals when he will retire from tennis

In an interview to L'Equipe Alexander Zverev commented on his perspective towards pressure. The German player tries to enjoy himself despite the tense environment he lives in. "The pressure to make good results, the pressure from the sponsors, the fact that it's never good enough. No, for me, pressure is a good thing. It's a privilege. Because only those who have achieved big things get it", said Zverev during the Mexican Open in Acapulco.

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have had the pressure's on their whole life because they are the best. "It's normal. I'd rather have pressure on me all the time than never. When will no longer feel pleasure in tennis, I won't play anymore. I do not care about how old I will be, my ranking position, the amount of money I will have made. I've often said it: tennis is my passion since I'm a little kid, my first love. I've never played for money, for the sponsors, for the big contracts. I play tennis because I want to and because it is the most delightful thing I can do."

Zverev finally recalled what his mental state was in January during the Australian Open where he got very nervous in his straight-set loss to Milos Raonic. "At that moment, yes. I thought I was putting too much pressure on myself. I thought: "Ok, I won Masters 1000, I won the ATP Finals in 2018. And now?" I've realized that it is not the right way to think about it. Tennis is not linear. It is not you win a Future, then a Challenger, a 250, a 500, a Masters 1000. This is not how it works. For instance, I've never won a Future in my life. Maybe I still need to win some Masters before a Grand Slam title. I'm not worrying about it; I know my time will come. Some younger people have already done better than me at slams. I don't care. I know who I am, why I am doing this for. I know I'm doing the necessary work."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2YuM7NH

No comments