Breaking News

Andy Murray named official starter for London Marathon

Andy Murray will be the official starter for next month’s London Marathon. Last year, Her Majesty The Queen was the official race starter while in 2017 the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry pressed the famous red button to get the marathon under way.

Andy Murray commented: “It’s an honour to be asked to start the London Marathon. It’s such an amazing race that means so much to so many people. It raises millions each year for charity and helps inspire people to get active. I have nothing but admiration for everyone who runs - I may even run it myself one day.”

Hugh Brasher, Event Director of the Virgin Money London Marathon, said: “Sir Andy Murray is one of Britain’s greatest sporting superstars and it is so fitting that he will be the official starter for one of the country’s greatest sporting events and the world’s greatest marathon.

“Andy is renowned as one of the toughest and most competitive sportsmen on the planet and someone who does not recognise barriers in sport. We are delighted that he will be with us on Sunday 28 April to start the field of 42,000 runners undertaking the legendary 26.2 mile challenge – including both the very best marathon runners in the world and thousands of first-timers who have been inspired to get active and raise money for charity.”

Murray recently spoke about his injury, saying, "It's just tennis, it's something I love doing, I really enjoy it. If my hip allows me to do that – without pain – and I can still enjoy it then I'd like to try. But if I can't, then I can't and I'll be happy I'm not in pain every day.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2V3Z0MI

No comments