Breaking News

As Novak Djokovic braves criticism, Boris Becker's past words offer succour

Boris Becker praised Novak Djokovic's humanity. Speaking to CNN Spain at the Laureus Sports Awards, the six-time Major winner, who worked with Djokovic for three years, helping him conquer six Majors, said: "He cannot be different from his on-court demeanor: he's a funny man... He's very intelligent... You can talk to him about politics, economy, the history of the world..."

Reflecting on his six-month break from tennis in 2017, Djokovic said: "In that period, I had learned a lot about myself. I had a lot of doubts and dilemmas about how to continue with my tennis, what's the point, and in what way. I had questioned myself on the deepest levels of my character. In those moments, I didn't know why was all that happening and, of course, I wasn't happy about that but I understood that I should be grateful because in those moments you have the opportunity to transform and become the better version of yourself. Eventually, that happened and 12 months later I'm standing in front of you with three Grand Slams and the world no. 1 position, which didn't look like a possibility a year ago."

Djokovic is currently the top-seed at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells. He is seeking his sixth title in the tournament, and his first, since 2016 when he last completed the Sunshine Double (winning Indian Wells and the Miami Open together). Last year, the Serbian seeded 10th was upset in the second round by Taro Daniel. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Jb5Nme

No comments