Breaking News

Novak Djokovic: 'I wasn't ready to play in Indian Wells last year'

In a press conference in Indian Wells, Novak Djokovic recalled his opening round loss to Taro Daniel last year. The Japanese was a world No. 109 and Djokovic probably was going through the lowest point in his career.

'I definitely wasn't ready to compete at this level last year", admitted Djokovic, who was dealing with an elbow injury. "I was kind of convincing myself that I was, but I truly wasn't. I know most of my team members at the time were against me playing in Indian Wells and Miami because it was too early after the surgery. It was quite a journey in the last 12 months. I don't regret [playing in Indian Wells and Miami]. I think maybe from this perspective, I could have, should have made a different decision, but I believe it also taught me some valuable lessons that helped me to create amazing results in the next seven, eight months and get from 22 in the world to No. 1 in the world in less than six months. I did go through doubtful moments and questioning everything and experiencing a surgery for the first time in my life was something that I've never experienced before. I didn't know what to expect. I just had to acquaint myself with the new sensations, mental, physical, emotional, and it was all a great learning curve for me.”

On who could be the new ATP President, Djokovic added: "It's going to take time, and we have plenty of quality candidates to choose from."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2u61UEA

No comments