Breaking News

Bringing a Masters 1000 in Germany is my goal, says Boris Becker

In an interview to Tennis Magazin, the former world No. 1 Boris Becker commented on his goals for the sport. Germany last had a Masters 1000 tournament in 2008 at Hamburg on clay, then Madrid replaced it. "There are already a lot of tournaments in Germany: Hamburg, Stuttgart, Halle, Munich. That's very good. There is not a Masters 1000. That's difficult because there are just nine over the world. But bringing such an event in Germany needs to be a goal. That's the next big step and the ATP Finals in Germany would be great," said Becker, who could own a new event with his friend Romanian investor Ion Tiriac.

On Hamburg, possibly featuring ATP and WTA tournaments in 2020, Becker added: "I am a fan of combined tournaments. They are good for tennis, spectators, and endorsements. You have two for one, but the question is: until when will that last? Ten days? Or is there a week for women and a week for men back to back? I am worried about the date in Hamburg. Playing on clay in July is difficult. That does not get suited to the calendar. The surface is a problem because the hard-court season is already starting. I suppose that the new tournament CEO thought about it and he will find a solution. The Stuttgart tournament found an answer in time and is holding a grass-court tournament. The field is a very good one, in Halle as well. The BMW Open in May works great, even if it's a more little tournament. And as long as Sascha wins, he will play there."

Could Becker become the tournament director of the Hamburg Open? "No, I was the Rothenbaum president for five years and I am a big fan of the tournament. I was asked also from other tournaments if I can see it. I see my role today more with the players and coaches. On an international level, I am trying to get a Masters 1000 tournament in Germany. It's difficult, but not impossible because in the past we had them."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TRy99b

No comments