Breaking News

Caroline Wozniacki shares why she came back to Miami despite verbal abuse

Caroline Wozniacki opened her campaign in Miami on a good note, defeating Aliaksandra Sasnovich and Monica Niculescu. In press conference the Dane praised the tournament overall. Wozniacki received a verbal abuse here last year on the Central Court at Key Biscayne during her loss to Monica Puig. "First of all, they changed the venue, which I think for the first year coming back it was probably good for me. I do love Key Biscayne", said Wozniacki. "I think Key Biscayne is an amazing place. I think it had charm, a lot of things that moving out here doesn't. At the same time moving venues, I think it also changed, it feels like a new tournament. That was one of the reasons. The second reason was I need to play. I need to go out there and I need to play. I wanted to play. I was like, Doesn't matter what happened last year, I'm just going to go out there and do my best, see what happens."

Asked if she talked to the tournament organizers, Wozniacki replied: "I have not. But I see there are signs out there by the fans. If there are people that are not acting up to par, you can text the tournament. I think that's something new that they've introduced this year. I think what I'm positively surprised about is the centre court. I didn't know how it was going to look at having a tennis court inside the big football stadium. Every time I've played an exhibition in big stadiums like that, it's always felt a little different, a little maybe strange. I think they've done a great job with that. I think they've done a great job with expanding the food area and stuff so there's more space. The locker rooms are nicer. But it does feel a little less charming, in my opinion, being outside and playing. I think the match courts, I don't know outside, that they've improved that much from Key Biscayne. It does feel like when you practice, you're a little bit out in a parking lot. I think there us pluses and minuses to putting it out here. Obviously, this is the first year being here. I'm sure they're going to keep adding stuff to this venue year after year. Maybe put up some trees, doing something like that, would also help with being here."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2UbjyWj

No comments