Breaking News

Dominic Thiem: 'Roger Federer is a legend, it's a privilege to face him'

Dominic Thiem was emotional looking back to his maiden Masters 1000 title in Indian Wells. For the third time in his career out of five meetings, the Austrian defeated Roger Federer. "He's such a legend", admitted the 24-year-old speaking of the Basel native. "And for all of us younger players, it's really a privilege to still be able to compete with him and to play against him in the finals of big tournaments like this one. First of all, it's great to play against him. I think with every match against somebody like him, I can learn a lot of stuff. I mean, the way he was playing in the first set was unreal. I had to get used to it. That's why it's so nice. That's why I hope and we all hope that he continues for quite a while still."

Federer takes the loss well because he feels well physically: "When you're hurt and things are difficult and, you know, that maybe those hurt more", admitted Roger. "I'm not sure. At the same time I'm happy for Dominic, winning his first Masters 1000, as well. It's a massive event to win. Like you said, I just got my 100 in Dubai and I had a good week here. Really, there is no reason to get down. Plus there is more to look forward to in Miami. Look, things are good for me. Just unfortunate today. I needed a better shot from time to time."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Hxv604

No comments