Breaking News

Facing Stan Wawrinka is very awkward sometimes, says Roger Federer

The clashes between the two compatriots in tennis are always particular ones. Roger Federer knows it well having faced Stan Wawrinka 25 times. After defeating the 33-year-old in a straight-set third round in Indian Wells, Federer said: "I think it depends on where I am in the season, you know, and how much maybe we have trained together, how much time we have spent together. Like, you know, in the years where we played a lot of Davis Cup or where we would train almost every other week, you know, you also stay in touch more. And then you feel like, oh, this is just like another practice match, just this time around we are playing for points and prestige more. Whereas, this match, particular one, if I'm talking about this one, I haven't seen Stan all that much, to be quite honest.

I haven't practised with him, I feel like, for some time. For me, this one was easier, more simple, you know, mindset going into the match. The worry was I didn't quite know Stan's level, but I saw quite a bit and was highly impressed with his match against Fucsovics. I thought they played some sick points there. But, yeah, overall it's not been easy playing Stan. I know he knows that I know, et cetera (smiling). He feels the same way, so that's very awkward sometimes."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TFQ3fP

No comments