Breaking News

Federer: 'I am okay with retiring even without breaking Connors' record'

In an interview to Globo Esporte, Roger Federer commented on possibly breaking the Jimmy Connors' 109 titles record. The Swiss player retained that it is not a priority. "I get asked a lot about it, what's my next goal, if I am trying to beat Jimmy Connors' record, but nope. That's not my goal. I am happy to have reached 100 titles, I would have liked to reach 101 in Indian Wells. But it's okay, my life is already full even without breaking all those records. I am happy to be healthy, that's the No. 1 thing for me, as a player, that I can still compete and my family is doing well. No problem if I have to retire without having broken that record", said Federer in Miami.

The Swiss wants to be a good husband, father and player: "Jimmy said that to be a champion you have to put things apart. Not for me. My family always comes first, I love my four children, my wife and spending with them. If they are unhappy, I am sad ad well. They are my absolute priority over tennis."

Federer has no particular regrets looking back at his career. "I would not do anything different in my career. All the experiences, every experience made me get where I am now. It means I was professional. Sometimes people forget about it because they think it's so easy. I was not disciplined, I was thrown out several times from the Old Boys club, then I moved to Ecublens at 13 years of age and it felt like a college. It was hard and one of my biggest learning experiences. In the same time I knew I had to go through it if I really wanted to get into the professional tour."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2JMZiGz

No comments