Breaking News

Garbine Muguruza keeping positive after crashing out of Indian Wells

Garbine Muguruza says she is leaving Indian Wells with “good energy” despite being blown away in the quarterfinals 0-6, 1-6 against teenage sensation Bianca Andreescu.

Muguruza has dropped from No. 2 in the world to 20th in recent times and hadn’t defeated a top 10 player since Dubai 2018 before arriving at Indian Wells. The two-time grand slam champion seemed to be finding her vintage form with a competitive performance against Serena Williams, before Williams retired, backed up with a three set victory against seventh ranked Kiki Bertens.

But just when things seemed like they may have been finally coming back together for the Spaniard, Muguruza was bundled out of the BNP Paribas Open at the hands of 18 year old wildcard Andreescu.

“I think today my level wasn't as good as the previous days, obviously. Yeah, I struggled to find a way to turn things around, because she was keeping her high level all the time. I think she was just hitting great shots. The serve was good, too. Yeah, leading a lot with the forehand. I didn't know a lot about her, but she's playing very well.

“I think she's playing better and better. Today she even played better, I think. I would look forward for the next match how I'm going to play against her. I'm going to think about it and I'm going to study how to do better. But besides that, I think it's a very good tournament for me. I felt good here, played good matches, gave me good matches, too. I'm leaving here with good energy.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2JhTfJN

No comments