Breaking News

Having success for so long was unthinkable, says Roger Federer

In a recent interview to Swiss media at the Dubai Open, Roger Federer reflected on his impressive longevity. The 37-year-old, who just conquered his 100th career-title, said: "I consider like a gift that I still feel like I am in the beginning. I am able not to just compete but also be at the top and win titles. Who would have ever thought it? Not me. It was not something I believed at as a young player."

What was the real key behind this longevity? "You mostly need this hunger to win more and more. You win a tournament once, twice, thrice. And you want more. If you are satisfied, you cannot even go through the way. As a junior I was very lunatic, I also had problems with my parents because sometimes I didn't give my best for tennis. But later it completely changed. More than 20 years on Tour, which is somehow crazy. But I still like this life, the days on tour, also because my family gives me the support I need."

Federer felt that being able to evolve was the key: "I was always ready to make a schedule and be involved in something new. You want to accept new ideas, try different strategies, bring new team members on board. I think that was the key to keep having success later in my career."

Bjorn Borg won French Open and Wimbledon back to back in the 70s. "That was definitely a tougher challenge than now. I am sure about it. But if Novak held all the four titles in the same time, or if he wins all of them this year, it would still be an unbelievable thing."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2O0yfpQ

No comments