Breaking News

'It feels unreal' - Dominic Thiem overwhelmed after win over Roger Federer

Dominic Thiem feels pleased with his triumph in Indian Wells. The Austrian player won his maiden Masters 1000 title defeating Roger Federer in a three-set final and in a press conference the world No. 4 said: “It feels unreal what happened in these 10 days. I came with really bad form in all categories and now I'm the champion of Indian Wells. It's amazing that I did my first big title here on a different surface than clay. I turned a pretty bad start to the season to a very good one."

Thiem feels privileged for his win over the 20-time Grand Slam winner: “He's such a legend. For all of us younger players, it's a privilege to still be able to compete with him and play against him in the finals of big tournaments like this one. Against Roger, Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic, and some other guys, you have to beat not only the player but also the great aura they have and all these titles they have won. You have to play doubly good to beat them.”

Thiem now eyes more success at the Miami Open: "Of course, the title is amazing [and] it will stay there forever. But it would be nice if I could hold this shape and all of these positive emotions in the next tournament and every tournament I play.”

Federer added: "It's hard to pinpoint exactly what went wrong [against Thiem]. The return he hits on the line at 5-all [in the third set], that's the one I needed, and I couldn't produce that. Why is that? You can start looking, digging so deep, and then you end up getting lost, rather than just saying he played maybe a little bit better when he really had to. I didn't feel like I played bad, either. I had my chances. I was in the points.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HvcM7Z

No comments