Breaking News

Jordan Thompson on stunning Grigor Dimitrov

Jordan Thompson has won through to the Miami Open fourth round for the first time in his career after back-to-back breakthrough wins. Thompson upset tenth seed Karen Khachanov in straight sets and backed it up with an emphatic 7-5, 7-5 victory against Grigor Dimitrov.

"It hasn’t really sunk in yet, I think I have to play tomorrow so I’m always thinking about the next day and what I have to improve on,” Thompson told SEN’s The First Serve after the match. "It was a great effort physically and mentally so I’m pretty pleased with myself.

"Today I made a lot of returns. He was serving well and I was managing to block them back, get them back and get myself in the point. I tried to sneak into the net and mix it up and not try the same thing all the time and keep him off guard a bit.”

“I’ve been trying to get mature on the court, you see these top guys even if they are getting fazed they don’t show it. I think I can work on that area, it’s tough to do but I think I'm getting better at it.”

Thompson’s coach Jaymon Crabb told ATP Tennis Radio the importance of winning consecutive matches, explaining Thompson’s decision to mix in Challenger events as well as the ATP Tour tournaments.

“It builds confidence. I think in this sport it’s very mental and when you’re winning, you know how to do it. We alway look to drop back when we have to and to keep the win percentage up.

“It's been a good breakout tournament for him. Thompson’s got a lot of variety in his game and he’s executed that really well in the past couple of games. He’s got good variety on his serve, getting to the net and mixing in his serve volley and keeping offensive with his forehand.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TuorFD

No comments