Breaking News

Main thing in tennis is excitement, not effort - Rafael Nadal's uncle

In Vigo Toni Nadal revealed the keys of his successful co-operation with his nephew Rafael. Toni said: "First, the luck I had in coaching a player like Rafa Nadal, who was always willing to listen at me; second, because I am his uncle and it's always tougher to replace someone from the family; and third, which is very important, because us Mallorcans are half Catalans, so we care a lot about the money and I was the cheapest coach on the tour", he laughed.

According to Toni, everything in life is about excitement and determination. "You can clearly see it in football with Lionel Messi. Does he make a lot of effort? No, he doesn't, but he always tries his best, because he wants to be the best in the world. I started coaching my nephew so that he was a good tennis player, but if I were a businessman I would have applied the same principles and values as I did in the sport. The main thing is the excitement, much more than the effort because many times the effort is about your physical strength."

For Toni, evolving and improving is the key: "In 2016 I made him reflect on how the opponents had changed, much more aggressive. We just have to learn."

The tennis pundit David Law believes Nadal will be fully fit once the clay-court season comes around in April. Through a tweet after that the Spaniard announced he would not compete against Roger Federer in the Indian Wells semifinals, Law wrote: “In pulling out of Indian Wells and Miami, Nadal won’t play a match for more than 4 weeks. Or in other words, he will be even fresher and probably more formidable for his attempt at winning 12th titles in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Roland Garros.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Jo6bxS

No comments