Breaking News

Maria Patrascu Leads Petition Against the new ITF World Tennis Tour

Tennis - 22-year-old Canadian Maria Patrascu is leading a campaign against the ITF's new World Tennis Tour, which has cut down the number of professional players ranked in the tennis rankings. In an interview to The New York Times, Patrascu says, "It started out rebellious, but it has definitely evolved. It’s just a movement to pursue justice. They’re killing the players’ dreams, just to end up with a handful of really, really good players. All the rest are forgotten.”

Speaking about the new rules which restrict the number of players in the qualifying draw, Patrascu commented, "You have to win five matches just to be in the position to play someone who is totally fresh. It’s not fair. I don’t feel like I’m doing this for myself, especially because I’m not sure where my career is headed. The time that I’ve dedicated to it is really from the bottom of my heart. I wish players could have more opportunities.”

Patrascu's petition started last March and now has more than 14,000 signatures.

Dave Miley, who used to work with the International Tennis Federation, has backed her initiative and says that what Patrascu is going is admirable for the players.

Kris Dent, the ITF's senior executive director for pro circuits, comments, "Of course we are listening to the players. It would be foolish not to listen to our constituents. Change is never easy, but in this case, it is vital.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HorJbY

No comments