Breaking News

Prajnesh Gunneswaran: I think this is one of my best matches mentally

India’s Prajnesh Gunneswaran moved into the Third Round of the BNP Paribas Open after edging World No. 18 Nikoloz Basilashvili 6-4, 6(6)-7, 7-6(4) in two hours 32 minutes, making this win his first over a Top-20 opponent.

“It is definitely a big deal, it’s huge for me [because] I proved to myself that I can stay at this level constantly,” Prajnesh said.

Though winning the first set by consolidating on the only break of the set, he was not taken to two tie breaks in Set 2 and Set 3, and he was a bit disappointed that he could not finish the match in straight sets.

“I am really happy I won especially [given] the way the match went. In the second set, I was extremely close to getting the break and maybe being close to winning the match. From there, even having chances in the tiebreak and out of nowhere when he just stepped up and played a few good points. He took the tiebreak and the match was level all of a sudden,” he said.

“It wasn’t easy as I had to find a way to get back my composure and stay tough mentally to take the third set and the match which was a big deal for me.”

This win gave the 29 year old some much needed confidence going ahead in the season. “I had to keep the same quality, level and intensity in the third set and that is extremely difficult to do. I am happy I could. I think this is one of my best matches mentally and I’m showing myself that I can be at this level.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Ha6Z7D

No comments