Breaking News

Rafael Nadal never gave up despite many injuries, says uncle Toni

In an interview with El Confidencial, Rafael Nadal's uncle Toni praised the Spaniard's ability to keep fighting despite dealing with many injuries. "Rafa has always been a kid who wanted to listen, and that's a big value. The person who is able to be driven shows smartness, because he learns more. Rafael had a lot of issues, but he does not give up. And with me either. My answer was always: 'This is what you have! With what we have, we have to try leading. We are much better than what we hope to, and I suppose much better than what we deserve to", said Toni.

On Nadal's many injuries in 2018, the 58-year-old added: "The pressure of matches influenced the situation. Most of the times he plays with pressure. Sometimes you cannot deal with pain and sometimes you can still play. Dealing with pain is complicated, especially when you are not able to compete anymore. You have to appreciate the good things done over the last two years."

Toni also said that he suffers more on court when he is in the player's box, especially in tight situations. "I still suffer watching him on TV, though."

"I do not think you have heroes who never fail. In every person, you have triumphs and losses. Almost nobody has a rising life. The big success is personal satisfaction. I was lucky to have success with Rafael when he won Monte Carlo, Wimbledon, Roland Garros... It did not make me much happier than when he worked at the tennis club of Manacor trying to make him improve and turn a better tennis player. How does the sport rank in my life? On a professional level, it was a big part of my life, where I was really thinking about tennis. I reflected for a long time on how to improve. And in my personal life, it is still a big part. I like getting through limits."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2CJl9ZD

No comments