Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Having Central Court in Basel named after me would be huge'

The Swiss Indoors will try to rename the Central Court after Roger Federer after failing in its attempt last year due to politics issues. In Switzerland, people usually name courts or important places after famous celebrities only once they died. Federer would still be happy to see it happen. "It would be an ultimate, unbelievable honor for me", said Federer in an interview to Tages Anzeiger during the Miami Open. "I see what Rod Laver or Roy Emerson mean when you have a stadium that is named after you and you can experience it."

He was initially contacted by the Hans Furer and Martina Bernasconi who started the petition. "They asked me if I would be against it. I said, no, I would be happy if it happens. But I understand also if it doesn't work. Others should decide it, not me. You should go on your way. But it would be a great honor. Basel is my city."

Federer is a great player but of course also a great person. The Swiss player is helping, through his Foundation, the thousands of people affected by the Cyclone Idai in South Africa that caused more than 600 deaths. Federer shared his thoughts through a press release: "Cyclone Idai is a unbelievable disaster. And it hit the most vulnerable ones in Malawi, Mozambique and Zimbabwe. It will take years for people to recover. My thoughts and solidarity are with the thousands of displaced people and families who lost their loved ones."

Another player, Rafael Nadal, did a similar thing last year donating €1 million euros to the victims of a flood in Mallorca.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Fxipis

No comments