Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'I am not in tennis to break every record'

Roger Federer is nine titles away from the Jimmy Connors's 109 titles record. However, in an interview to USA Today in Indian Wells, the Swiss player said that reaching that milestone is not necessarily a goal. "I know that in this day and age everybody wants every record to be broken. With the 109, I’m not going to aim for it. It seems kind of close, but it’s still very far away as well. Titles are not won every week, especially for me now that I’m not playing every single week. So I’m just content I reached 100 and I don’t need to break every record. That’s not why I’m in the game today", said Federer.

Federer also reflected on what it really meant to win his 100th career-title last week in Dubai: “I’m obviously very happy and it’s a great milestone in my career, there’s no doubt about it. It’s just a wonderful, big round number that I can be proud of. To me, though, it’s the one I never really went for. The 100 only really came into the conversation when I reached like 98 (Stuttgart) or 99 (Basel) last year. Then what you don’t want to have is having to speak about it every single week, like ‘Do you think the 100 is going to happen here?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah, I hope so, but we’ll see.’ You could do that for months and months and months so that’s why I”m just happy it’s over, not that it was a burden."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Uyoguo

No comments