Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Not facing Nadal was big letdown. There was high tension'

Roger Federer was disappointed in learning that Rafael Nadal withdrew from their semifinals match on Saturday in Indian Wells. In an on-court interview, the Swiss player said: "It's a big letdown. I was ready to go, I was warming up this morning, I was ready to go, everything was normal, Rafa was warming up on the other side of the court so I thought the match was on and I got up back on the golf cart to the main building and Rafa texted me a message saying ‘It’s not going to be possible, my knee is not well and I cannot do it.’ At that point I went back to the house and relaxed, but It’s definitely a big letdown because I know the anticipation [for the match] was there from the crowd especially and for us players and the attention was so high this morning, I am sure for both, especially for me. He was fighting with the injuries. And the tension was so high for the both of us. I’m obviously excited to be in the final, but not this way. He was playing some of his best tennis again, so I was looking forward to the match and I’m sorry it didn’t happen.”

Federer was also asked how it feels to see legends like Rod Laver, Pete Sampras coming to the tournament and watching matches: "It's very nice. It's a pleasure for us players to see the great players of the game coming to watch us now. I hope that when I am retired I also come out and watch some of the game, we love it for some reasons it's because we just like it, it's that simple, and my family loves it in Indian Wells, they think it's a wonderful place, when I go out and work I know they are having a great time, that's important too. All around this is wonderful event with great legends coming out to watch us play and we can play on this beautiful court. We are very lucky. So I do not take it for granted."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Jia33j

No comments