Breaking News

Shapovalov: 'I would like to have a net game as sharp as Roger Federer's'

Denis Shapovalov believes that he still has a lot more room to make big improvements. The Canadian is trying to make a breakthrough on the tour and he feels confident about his chances. In Indian Wells, Shapovalov said: "I think there is a lot of aspects of my game that I could really improve and keep going. My returns have gone a lot better, but that's always something I'm strong about to work on. You know, I think if I can have sharp returns, then I will have a tough lefty serve. So if I can be breaking guys and I play with a lot of confidence. And I think, you know, sharpening up my net game. It's gone a lot better. I have been playing a lot more doubles just to practice a little bit more volleying. But, you know, my game is to be offensive and come in. So if I could really have a net game as sharp as Roger Federer, for example, that would be kind of the next step."

On how it feels to be in the United States after spending the February month in the European indoor court tournaments, Shapovalov added: "It's different, right? Like, I enjoy the European swing. It's a lot of fun, fun events, really chill. But I do think outdoor I'm able to just kind of get some more balls, play a little bit more freely. Outdoor conditions seem to suit me. Not that indoors don't. I mean, I grew up in indoors. But I also think I had a good preparation here. I came a week earlier, played a lot of matches, a lot of training going into it. And I remember I told my team after Europe, they told me to take a break, but I told them, you know, like, I'll take two days' max, but I don't feel like I need a break right now. I want to keep going, work on my game. There were a couple of things missing in my Europe swing that I focused on to clean up. It's really showing the last couple of matches here."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2F6paI0

No comments