Breaking News

Struggling with knee injury, Elina Svitolina takes small break from tennis

The 24-year-old Elina Svitolina had a perfect closure of 2018 season, winning the WTA Finals in Singapore and playing on a high level in almost every tournament since the start of the current season to keep herself in the top-5. After an early exit in Brisbane, the Ukrainian was the quarter-finalist at the Australian Open, the semi-finalist in Doha, Dubai and Indian Wells, losing to Naomi Osaka, Simona Halep, Belinda Bencic and Bianca Andreescu. The results were there although Elina had to slow down after the most recent loss against Yafan Wang in Miami, announcing she has been dealing with a knee injury for more than a month, giving her best to compete in Florida but not being able to give her 100%. 

After an MRI scan, Elina has decided to take some rest until full recovery, not wanting to risk anything before the clay swing and hoping to be ready for Madrid, Rome and Roland Garros. Svitolina is the two-time defending Rome champion while she never played well in Madrid, winning just three out of eight matches and never passing the second round. 

"Hey guys! I wanted to give you a little update on my health issues. I have been struggling with knee pain for the past five weeks. Unfortunately, it got worst after long matches and MRI scans confirmed it. My team had been working hard to make me feel less pain and allow me to compete during the US swing. But now, I have been strongly recommended by doctors to take my time and let it heal. I will do everything that’s in my power to speed up my recovery and come back healthier. I want to thank everyone for the support and love."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Yy5SUv

No comments