Breaking News

Thiem explains reasons behind loss: 'I had a lot of emotions last week'

Dominic Thiem's campaign in Miami already ended. The Austrian lost to Hubert Hurkacz on Friday just five days after defeating Roger Federer to win his maiden Masters 1000 title in Indian Wells. The Austrian player commented on how the tiring and long week at the BNP Paribas Open may have influenced him: “I had a lot of emotions the last week, but I still had three or four days since then and that should be enough. There were some moments like when he gave me the break (at 1-1 in the second set) and I should have continued [with the momentum], but in general, he was just better. I wasn’t quite on my level like last week, but it was an okay match for me.”

Thiem also praised Hurkacz's performance: “His first serve is very tough to read and he returned well in situations when he needed it. My serve was not big enough, but he put a lot of pressure on it and he deserved to win.”

The defending French Open finalist looks forward to competing at the Monte Carlo Masters next: "Now it’s clay court time. I’ll go back to Europe soon, rest for a few days and prepare for Europe."

Hurkacz, who reached the Indian Wells quarter-finals losing to Federer, felt proud with his win: "It's great. I'm just trying to enjoy every moment now, to be able to play that match against Dominic today was really special for me. He's an unbelievable player so I needed to play on the top level... I'm very happy with that"

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2YkrXWB

No comments