Breaking News

Tommy Haas: 'Younger players live with their mobile phone all the time'

In an interview to L'Equipe, the BNP Paribas Open Tournament Director Tommy Haas was asked to comment on the controversial situation involving the ATP Chief Executive Chris Kermode leaving the board at the end of the year. "I have no idea. I look at the situation. Now I am focusing on the tournament I am running. I make sure everything goes well over these three weeks. Especially for the players. For the rest, just wait and see", said Haas, a former world No. 2 singles player.

Asked what the solution could be in order to improve the game, Haas replied; "You speak about a lot of changes, especially to make tennis faster between points. But I leave to the ones who have to think about these topics to focus on changes. I would just give a personal opinion and I have not all the keys. I think tennis is doing well. So we have to be very careful about what we want to change. Also, there are so many organizations at the head of our sport that make any change being very difficult. The past showed it. Here Larry Ellison (BNP Paribas Open owner) constantly tries to improve the Masters 1000. Indian Wells, for example, is on the run for the 2021 Davis Cup finals. But we have to wait for the new decisions. The idea is to keep tennis attractive, especially for future generations. Younger players live with their mobile phone all the time and they struggle focusing for more than an hour on a tennis court. You have to take it into consideration."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2F06Pwa

No comments