Breaking News

Victoria Azarenka: Barty and I complement each other

Victoria Azarenka and Ashleigh Barty upset top seeds at the Miami Open Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova to reach the last 8.

"The first time the idea sparked was at the US Open," Azarenka said. "I asked Ash if she ever wanted to play. We'd had a great practice, and we thought it could be fun because she has a really cool personality.”

"I like to play with someone is also fun on the court. The Australian Open was an opportunity to play together, and hopefully we’ll continue some more."

Further speaking about the partnership, the Belarusian said, "We complement each other well. I think we also know that we’re both flexible, and can chop and change if we need to. We can change sides, change serves. We both have versatile games when it all clicks together. That’s really exciting, even though we’ve only played four matches together.

"If she’s feeling what she wants to do, I let her do that, and vice versa," Azarenka further added. “We kind of know how to play tennis, so it’s not that difficult!"

Speaking about the importance doubles has played in her life, the former World No.1 said, "My doubles has helped me immensely during my career, not just in the last two or three years, but even a few years back. It helped me learn my way around the tour, and it is a lot of fun out there when you find someone you enjoy playing with."

She ended by saying, "I think it’s important for children to play both singles and doubles to develop volleying skills because in singles, you might not have the same opportunity to practice them in this era of speed. It’s really good, learning to diversify your skills."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2JEcxcI

No comments