Breaking News

Karolina Pliskova: Conditions were windy but I played very well

Karolina Pliskova overcame a first set deficit to overcome Frenchwoman Alize Cornet 6-7(3), 6-1, 6-4 to reach the fourth round at the Miami Open.

"I think it was a good match from both of us," Pliskova said after the match. "Of course, it was a little bit windy. The conditions later in the afternoon aren’t the fastest, but I think she played well. It’s definitely the best match she’s played against me."

Speaking about her opponent, Pliskova was quick to say that Cornet is not an easy opponent to face. “She can sometimes have a difficult game for me because she hits with a lot of spin, but then the backhand is flat. I think I was missing more in the first set. I could have played better, having a break up and some chances, but she made me play a lot of shots and rallies.”

Wrapping the match with her 9th ace, Pliskova did not let her get distracted when Cornet was close to retirement mid-match. "I think I didn’t give up. Not that I was close to it, but it was tough after the first set, playing for an hour and 20 minutes. It was exhausting and too long. I’m glad I stayed there. She started making mistakes that she wasn’t making in the first set.

"I improved my game, and I knew it was going to be a lot about me today, which it was. It’s not always easy to play matches when you feel like you have every shot in your hands, because you still have to make the shot."

She had some relaxing time with her sister – Kristyna, going sightseeing in Miami. "I went to sleep and didn’t get up until around 11, so half the day was already gone!" she said. "In the afternoon, I went to the Design District. It was nice, and I like this part of Miami. We did a little bit of shopping and had coffee."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2WqVJaB

No comments