Breaking News

You don't feel your body anymore: Novak Djokovic recalls 2012 AO win

Speaking to reporters in February at the Laureus Sports Awards,15-time Major winner Novak Djokovic recalled his 2012 Australian Open title. In the final, the Serb defeated Rafael Nadal 7-5 in the fifth set after five hours and 53 minutes. "There were matches where you feel you had an out-of-body experience and one of them was the 2012 Australian Open final against Nadal where we played over six hours," admitted Djokovic. "It is very hard to explain. You feel like you are present but also in some ways you are not there because the physical pain is so big that you do not feel your body anymore but you hope that brings you to places that you are driving for. It was one of the experiences where you feel like there is an airforce inside you."

On how it felt to win the Laureus Sportsman of the year award, Djokovic added: "Laureus surprised, impressed and impressed me. I learned new stories about people who I had not heard of before, their resilience, their strongness. The message that they convey to all of us in the room and to millions of people. It was beautiful to be part of this evening. That's what sports is about. This journey was very special and transformative and told me about how I have to approach my life. Probably one of the biggest takes I’ve had in the last couple of years is that it really does depend only on me: whether I’m going to take these challenging situations and obstacles as an opportunity to grow, to rise, to get better or let them defeat me. That kind of a mindset was very helpful in the moments where I really needed that strength. I had to find it inside rather than outside."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TM6NkU

No comments