Breaking News

Coach shares thoughts on Dominic Thiem not playing 2020 Olympics

In an interview to Punto de Break, Nicolas Massu commented on Dominic Thiem playing in Kitzbuhel and not the Tokyo Olympic Games next year. The Austrian player made the same choice in 2016. "We have not spoken about it yet, we postponed it once this tournament ends. Every player is respectful for the decision he takes, there are players who decide to play and others who do not, but we will speak of it. In this case, it's the tournament of his country, Kitzbuhel, that coincides that same week. The situation for him is not the same as the others, it would be nice that he could play the two tournaments but you have to take one. Whatever he decides, I will support him", said Massu, who has been working with Thiem since February. He won a gold medal in the Games. "What I felt in the Olympic Games and Davis Cup was the greatest, representing my country is something I liked since ever I was a kid, it's something you feel inside, but not all the players think like this. There are players who think a tournament is as important the Games because they play well there, it all depends on what you look for. That's why Dominic's decision is as respectful as any other."

Would he change a gold medal for anything in sports? "No, never. It's something I achieved and that cost me a lot, a lot of hours of the game, I suffered a lot. Obviously, I would have loved to win a Grand Slam, win the Davis Cup and be world No. 1, those are childhood dreams, but winning the Olympic Games is something amazing, such a big thing that marked me and my country forever."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2V0JzsP

No comments