Breaking News

David Ferrer: 'Last summer I set my retirement date'

In an interview to Sport.es, David Ferrer recalled when he decided to retire from tennis. The Spaniard will play his last tournament in Madrid. "I think it was the past summer", said Ferrer. "When I ended in Wimbledon, there I really believed at 100per cent that it was correct, that I could not be back to be the David Ferrer I wanted as a tennis player. I could be consistent, be able to be among the best guys, I do not say that I cannot play those tournaments because tennis-wise I am not bad, but I was excited to end playing the best tournaments, on the central courts. Travelling and playing on the little courts mentally was more tiring and even more at an age where you struggle to give the best."

How would he like to be remembered? "As a player who could not get tired, consistent, that gave everything. I think that's my essence, I gave it all until the last point in my career."

"I try to be emotionally away from it because I am competing and I would like to do it well. At least to be as most competitive as possible. When I end I will enjoy a bit the emotions."

Ferrer is perhaps not that much covered by the media. Everybody always talks about the same players and not much about you. Is it positive or negative? "I don't know if it's positive for me or not. But as I said before, I really don't care about this. I'll follow my path, my career. I try and play each match as best as I can so as to win. I'm very much aware of that. I fully understand that the ones in the limelight are other players like Nadal and Djokovic, and mainly when they reach quarterfinals. I have just reached the quarterfinals. It had not happened to me for a long time. Everybody is happy with me. I'm delighted. The press treats me really well. So, no, no, I have nothing to complain about. My life is not going to change tomorrow."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2IGjMiK

No comments