Breaking News

Don't compare Carlos Alcaraz to Rafael Nadal, says Almagro

Carlos Alcaraz achieved a great milestone earlier this week, winning an ATP Challenger match at 15 years of age. Some people are asking if Alcaraz could be the new Rafael Nadal. In an interview with Marca, Nicolas Almagro said: "Comparisons are never good. Rafa had his career right at the start and Carlos has to write his history. I heard he is very well followed. He is doing unbelievable things, you have to support and help him."

On Spanish tennis, Almagro added: "We wrote a page of national tennis. We opened a way so that younger players could see themselves in gladiators like Nadal, (David) Ferrer, Feliciano (Lopez), (Fernando) Verdasco, Marcel (Granollers), (and) Tommy (Robredo)."

On the reasons that led him to retire, Almagro added: "The end was hard because with the knee I was never doing well. I would return and have a relapse, would return and have a relapse... I took the decision which I think is best because after tennis you have another life. I gave everything and I cannot regret anything. The sport now is more physical. The clay season is getting shorter in order for more hard-court tournaments to be accommodated. For clay-courters like me, it's tougher."

Would Almagro have won the French Open Without Nadal? "I do not know, destiny made me play against him in the quarter-finals and I have to be grateful for reaching that round. What would have happened without him is not worth to analyze. You should instead think about what I achieved, which I think is a lot."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2GpUMtZ

No comments