Breaking News

Fabio Fognini: 'Don't ask me about my goals at the French Open!'

In an interview, Fabio Fognini commented on how it feels to be the Monte Carlo tournament champion and how special would be to win a Masters 1000 title again. "A second title would not make me sad but it's important to stay feet grounded. After a success like this, usually goals are different but the approach stays the same. On clay, the favourite keeps being Rafa Nadal. I know that he said he played bad, but I must have played well otherwise he would have beaten me, wouldn't he? Do not ask me about cracking the top 10 and my goals in the French Open either. In Paris a good draw is needed, I have to be healthy and lucky. Too many things need to happen for two weeks", said the 31-year-old.

Asked if he will manage to enter in the Italians' heart through this win, Fognini replied: "I hope so, but I know they have different thoughts. My strength has always been that I was the same on and off the court. In Monte Carlo I was focused, I did not do wrong things because against Rafael Nadal you cannot do them. Then I played my maiden Master 1000 final and I was good enough to take chances."

The former world No. 12 Paolo Bertolucci, analyzing Fognini's success, said: "It was a great result but I would not focus just on the result, which is historical too. Fognini was coming from a bad time. He was playing bad. He had lost confidence in himself. The world changed all of a sudden for him. In Monte Carlo he basically lost in the first round, he hit a second serve ace and sometimes a second is needed to understand that at the end of the tunnel there is a light waiting for you. Fognini saw it and followed it like he was in the mid of the sea. It's really a life lesson. The sport always teaches you something good, it gets lived in the right way. At the beginning of the Monte Carlo tournament, Fognini felt uncomfortable, then everything changed. It’s not over until is over."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2ZzLjHY

No comments