Breaking News

Fabio Fognini makes me angry sometimes, says Italian legend

In an interview to Sky Sport, the former player Nicola Pietrangeli commented on the Fabio Fognini's Monte Carlo Masters win. According to the 83-year-old Italian, the key match to conquer the trophy was the one on Saturday against Rafael Nadal. "I do not tell him "You are good" for beating Dusan Lajovic last Sunday but for beating one like Nadal. That was the final. It makes me angry because you ask yourself why Fabio does not do it more often, I am not saying he should win all the tournaments but he can beat anybody. Yesterday at launch they were saying that Nadal would have dominated Fognini, but Rafa does not love to play with Fabio and you saw it..."

What could have Fognini achieved if he was solid mentally? "I do not know. With the ifs, I could have won Wimbledon, the Italian legends Paolo Bertolucci and Adriano Panatta could have won the French Open in doubles. Everything seemed easy but when you are on the court, it turns a bit more difficult."

On the differences between today's tennis and the past, Pietrangeli concluded: "Here they play on the moon, back in the day we played on the earth. You cannot make comparisons, I think it was better before, I took $100 and I invested them on apartments, we played for the crowd, now Fabio takes one million."

Pietrangeli was next to Prince Alberto on the grounds: "He doesn't cheer anybody in theory, but he loves Nadal and I love Federer. I do not like those new guys that much... Fognini is halfway between the old and the new."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2UT126o

No comments