Breaking News

Federer: 'I rewatched 2017 Australian Open win vs Nadal million of times'

In an interview, Roger Federer recalled his five-set 2017 Australian Open final win to Rafael Nadal. The Swiss came back from being down 1-3 in the fifth set. "Some friends wanted to spend a special night to see the match again, but I said, No thank you. I already saw million of times the highlights, with music, without music, with live comments in all the languages, with the reactions. But the last points, the match point, the speech with Rafa after the match; those images will forever be in front of my eyes", said Federer. "The first feeling was that one: relief, total wellbeing. Everything was perfect. And not hearing the "Will you win a Grand Slam title?" question again makes me feel good. I never turned negative, but I am really happy not to have heard it for a while."

Heading to the tournament, Federer knew in some ways that he could have had a good run: "In December 2016 I was in Dubai practising and I had no idea what I could have done in Melbourne. In my mind, even if I lost in the first round, the event was still successful because I came back on the court after a serious injury. What happened was a dream."

He also added: "When you play all the time, you seek a tournament after the other, you try to handle matches, the press, the schedule, travels, kids. Obviously, after a while, you lose a bit of inspiration. The break was good. I was able to rest and think. This injury re-calibrated my life. I had to undergo surgery and the success of this surgery did not depend on me. There was a short time where, for the first time, my career was not in my hands. Everything happily went well and I saw it as a second chance. I did not want to waste it."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2PyPLC7

No comments