Breaking News

Fognini: 'I have taken a decision. I play until the French Open, then...'

Fabio Fognini got pretty close to the loss against Andrey Rublev in Monte Carlo, being down 6-4 4-1. In the end, the Italian prevailed and, as quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport, he said: "I do not care how it came, I was very lucky too. But it's a key success because I am not confident and I am sad about the lack of results. At my age, I struggle more to accept it."

Fognini is not too happy speaking about his physical condition. The 31-year-old hinted at a possible break from tennis, or eventually surgery, in order to finally be fit. "I am dealing with a pain on my right elbow which is not healed but I am not worried by it. My ankle conditions did not progress but it got even worse. I took my decision, it's not time to reveal it yet but I will play until the French Open, hoping to find the right week because I feel well while training."

On how it feels to be above Fognini on the rankings, the defending French Open semifinalist Marco Cecchinato said: "Being the Italian number one is a dream came true and a good responsibility. But Fabio is just two positions behind me and he had an amazing career. Now I am a complete player and you should praise Italy that has 20 top 200 players."

In a press conference at the Monte Carlo Masters, Gilles Simon shared his thoughts on his upcoming second round match against Fognini. The Frenchman leads the head to head meetings 5-0. "I know why I won, but I don't know whether I will be able to win tomorrow", said Simon. "Those victories or those head-to-heads are quite old now. We haven't played each other for a little while. He's a very good clay-court player, so it's a real performance, the fact of being 5-0 head to head against him, especially such a player like Fabio. We know that Fabio has very difficult tennis in the sense that he may have a very high level, and then he can change along with the same match. We saw it in the first round here. So I have to stay focused on what I have to do."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2KOEEq2

No comments