Breaking News

Former player shares how he beat Rafael Nadal on clay in 2005

In an interview to Punto de Break the former Russian player Igor Andreev recalled his match win over Rafael Nadal dated back to 2005 Valencia. "People who may not usually be in tennis remember more that victory, but the ones who usually are on the Tour do not consider that too much. It was a good victory, of course, beating Nadal on clay is something unbelievable for any player", said Andreev.

After that win, Nadal won 81 matches in a row on clay. How did Andreev manage to beat him? "Playing tennis well and using well my chances. They did not call me and if they had done it, I would have not been able to explain how it happened. It was a good week with some great conditions."

In the French Open, he reached his only Grand Slam quarter-final. Does Andreev consider himself as a clay-courter? "For results, I think so, but if you have something that the ATP teaches you is that you are forced to compete on all the surfaces, otherwise being at the top is impossible. But it makes you develop your game and you learn new things. Being able to do well everywhere is the key."

On his co-operation with Medvedev, Andreev concluded: "Honestly, I do not know what I can bring him. I suppose that the most important thing is to give him these good and bad experiences I had as a player and the bad ones may have a bigger value so that it does not happen again. Sharing these experiences is the goal", he concluded.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Vt9ZTs

No comments