Breaking News

Guido Pella reveals what surprised him the most about Rafael Nadal

In an interview to Punto de Break, Guido Pella commented on his loss to Rafael Nadal in the Monte Carlo Masters. "It's not easy. It was my maiden Masters 1000 quarter-final and ending up playing against Rafa who is the most physical player on Tour, my body felt it a lot. Arriving here, conditions were different too. In Monte Carlo, playing at a sea level, it was pretty tough. Here it rained since I first came and during my first match it suddenly turned sunny and the conditions changed. I think I was able to adapt pretty well."

Analyzing his season overall, the Argentine added: I had not started the year well. In Doha, I hurt my back and I could not play. Then the Australian swing was a disaster for me because I could not recover well from that injury and all of a sudden I came to Cordoba and I started winning matches and play much better and from then obviously with some matches it went better and better and I achieved my career high ranking, winning matches on a consistent basis, which makes me very calm in believing that I am doing a great job."

Asked how it felt like to win a final after losing four, Pella added: "I do not know how many players lost so many finals before winning their maiden title (laughter). It was something very emotional and I do not usually get emotional. I am a person who keeps his feelings and the truth is that when I won, it was something unbelievable. Now I am enjoying much more, I am pressureless."

"I had beaten a lot of good players but when I had to face top five players like Rafa, Nole and Roger I felt very far away and it was very difficult to take positives in that time. I headed in Monte Carlo with a different mind. I played a good match. I felt the pressure when I was leading 4-1. Rafa is Rafa and from then he played a very good match. The 99.9 per cent of players do not play that set anymore and Rafa was like if he was 4-1 above. That surprised me a bit. When he won the set 7-6, I felt that pressure that I was very close to beat him and then I was one set down against a very confident Nadal. He used all the chances but I am closer. I will keep working to keep getting closer to them.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2VnQtrr

No comments