Breaking News

Medvedev: 'I don't know why countries are against new Davis Cup format'

Daniil Medvedev defeated Nicolas Jarry in straight sets, 6-3 6-4, to reach the Barcelona Open semifinals. In a post-match interview, the Russian player commented on the new Davis Cup format: "At this moment I am ready to play after we never know. The season is long. I like the new format, it's only two weeks in the year, one is for the qualification and one for the finals. I find much better that there are no five-set matches. I understand that everybody looks for his own benefits, for Russia, there are a lot of benefits when it' like this, for other countries I do not know why they do not want it. I want to win a lot of matches and the most important thing is to get to the later stages of the tournaments and in the big tournaments because that's where you earn a lot of points and you break the top ten and eventually reach the ATP Finals in London. I am happy but I want more."

Medvedev also spoke about the Russian tennis success: "Russians were good as juniors as I remember, I played a lot of tournaments in Europe which may be good. The first thing I can say is that I am happy for them, especially who is on the top ten."

On his next match against Kei Nishikori, Medvedev concluded: "He is a great player, he has been a top ten player for almost his whole life, he has been there since when he was 21-22, he is still there, came back from an injury, got back to the top ten over three months but I beat him once and this year's Brisbane final was really close and even last year in Monte Carlo I was serving for the set. I will just try to think about the tactics with my coach."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2PuMrIa

No comments