Breaking News

Prajnesh Gunneswaran aims to crack the To 50 by year end

India's No.1 ranked tennis player Prajnesh Gunneswaran has had good outings in China in the last two seasons. The Indian won the Anning Challenger Event last year and reached the finals of the same event this year as well, losing to Brit Jay Clarke.

Though he failed to defend the title, this deep run ensured the Indian a place in the Main Draw of Wimbledon.  Speaking about pressure, he said, “There was some pressure but not because I won here last year. But, going into the tournament I knew that if I did well here I could qualify for the main draw at Wimbledon. From that aspect, yes, I was itching to do well.”

With assured spots at the French Open and Wimbledon, Gunneswaran has set his eyes on bigger things this season. “I should be pretty close for qualifying for the US Open too,” he said. “If I don’t have a disastrous next couple of months, I should make the main draw cut for US Open.”

Further speaking about his goals for the 2019 season, the southpaw added, “Being inside the top 40 in six months time would be good but that is not going to be my main focus point. I am just going to be focussed on matches and that (the rankings) will take care of itself.” 

He is presently ranked at the personal best ranking of No.75 on the ATP Charts and looks to keep this impressive season going. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Py50vm

No comments