Breaking News

Simona Halep withdraws from Stuttgart with a left hip injury

World no. 2 and two-time Stuttgart semi-finalist Simona Halep has decided to withdraw from Porsche Tennis Grand Prix after injuring her left hip during that epic Fed Cup semi-final clash with Caroline Garcia on Sunday. The Romanian gave her everything to carry her country into the first Fed Cup final but she just fell short despite beating both Kristina Mladenovic and Caroline Garcia, losing the deciding doubles rubber with Monica Niculescu against the French pair in three sets to stay empty-handed. 

Roland Garros champion felt mentally and physically tired after the grueling tie and also suffered a fall against Caroline Garcia in the encounter that lasted for almost three hours, feeling pain in a left hip and opting to take two weeks off and recover before big events in Madrid and Rome.

“I started to feel pain in my left hip when I fell against Caroline Garcia in the opening set,” Halep said. “I don't want to play if I'm not at 100% and that's why I decided to withdraw. Also, I’m mentally exhausted after giving everything in that tie against France that we unfortunately couldn’t win. I have to think about my health first and that's why I had to pull out. The feeling is bad as I wanted to win the Fed Cup badly, I have been very sad for the last two days. I have been through these moments many times in my career and I know how to handle it, just need to recover mentally and physically and then start all over again. 

I’m flat emotionally at the moment and I have physical problems. The hip has to recover quickly for the clay because the game is very physical and demanding, although I’m not going to make a drama out of it. I just want to go home and relax, with two weeks off before the next tournaments in the schedule.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2UCI12U

No comments